Eucharistic Miracle

The Eucharistic Miracle is kept in the stone and crystal tabernacle, flanked by two marble panels depicting the two sides of an open book. In 1330 in Siena, a priest called to take Holy Communion to a sick person placed the host in his breviary. At the sick person’s home, he saw that the host had turned into blood. He went to confess what had happened to blessed Simon, who took the relic to Cascia.

In 1389, Pope Boniface IX confirmed the authenticity of the miracle. The fragment of parchment paper measures 52 x 44 mm. Looking against the light, it can be seen that the blood stains have formed the outline of a human face.

The beautifully rough-hewn stone sarcophagus contains the remains of Blessed Simon of Cascia. Born in Cascia in around 1285, while still a young man, he left his comfortable life to enter the Order of Saint Augustine. Ordained a priest, he was a great preacher and spiritual guide; a writer in Latin and Italian, he has left us precious writings on theology and spirituality. He died in Rome on 2 February 1348; his feast is celebrated on February 16.

back